The area that covers the northern part of the “Terra di Bari” up to the southern part of the “Daunia” represents the land of “Red Old Wines”.
Expanses of vineyards, planted in accordance with the disciplinary of Doc Wines, animate the area of “Tavoliere”, once seabed.
Starting from Barletta, the road of “Red Old Wines” develops along the axis Barletta-Foggia.
The name of the first city is known especially because of the famous “Challenge of Barletta”, a battle fought between 13 Italian knights and 13 French knights.
The challenge that was won by the Italians, is reminded in Barletta through an epitaph and through the cellar where began the verbal confrontation between Italian and French knights.
The history of this challenge was widely told in the novel “Ettore Fieramosca” written by Massimo D’Azeglio.
After the visit to the Cellar, the second step is the evocative “Castello Svevo” (Swabian Castle) with its fascinating and mysterious underground rooms and the large garden.
A few steps from the Castle is the Cathedral with the impressive bell tower and, in the centre of the old town, the Basilica of “Santo Sepolcro” and the “Colosso” (Colossus) better known as “Eracleo”, a 4,5 m high bronze statue that most likely represents a roman emperor.
Along the highway SS93, about 10 km from Barletta, you reach the area where, in 216 BC, was fought the biggest battle of ancient times, Canne della Battaglia ( The Battle of Cannae).
Hannibal, with 40000 men under his command, with an ingenious military operation, managed to defeat the Roman army.
Today “Canne della Battaglia” is an archaeological site of great interest; situated on a hill, it offers a wonderful view of the surrounding territory.
The archaeological site also houses an archaeological museum that preserves artifacts from the Neolithic to the Middle Age.
Examples of these objects are: ornaments in bronze and amber, grave goods, pottery, coins of the Byzantine Empire, “dauno-peuceti” vases.
There are also models, graphics and information panels about the battle and the archaeological finds.
The site is accessible by train that stops at a small country station. From this station, with a few minutes walk, is the site.
Along the highway SS93, about 10 km from “Canne della Battaglia” , is Canosa di Puglia.
This is a city rich in history and with a remarkable archaeological heritage in part preserved into the Archaeological Museum of the town.
Around the area of Canosa have been found 42 tombs and only a part of them can be visited today.
The city of Cerignola is only 15 km from Canosa. It is an important agricultural centre whose name comes from Cerere, the goddess of harvest.
The oldest area in the old town has been destroyed by an earthquake in 1731 and the present old town follows the checkerboard pattern that was typical in 1800.
The principal places of interest are: the “Mother Church”, the “Cathedral of San Pietro”, “Carmelo Palace” (now the city Hall), and “Coccia Cirillo Palace”.
Out from the town centre is the baroque Church of “Beata Vergine del Monte Carmelo” with a large bell.
A few miles from Cerignola, along the way to Candela, is “Torre Alemanna”, a complex of farms with a sighting quadrangular tower.
Many historians believe that this complex was one of the most flourishing in Apulia.
From Cerignola, along the highway SS16, is Orta Nova.
Probably the old town is of roman origin because of the presence of a “Villa” discovered near the city.
The city is totally devoted to agriculture and wine production.
Stornara is a small town built probably between 1100 and 1200 along the ancient road of “Traiano”.
It was the result of a spontaneous aggregation of farming families.
In the old town there is a tower of the fifteenth century and in the church of “San Rocco” there is an interesting picture of “Madonna della Stella”.
Not far away from Stornara is Stornarella whose landscape is characterized by wheat fields and vineyards.
Points of interest are: the former city hall, overlooked by the clock tower and the church dedicated to “Maria SS. Della Stella”, built by the Jesuits in 1600.
Very interesting is the picture situated in the apse of the church depicting the Virgin Mary and Child Jesus.
In order to get to Trinitapoli, the last stage that belongs to the Road of “Old Red Wines”, you need to go along the highway SS16, in the direction of the sea.
The city of Trinitapoli was founded in 1600. Between 1800 and 1900 a considerable reclamation work was made in order to make possible the cultivation of different plants.
The result was excellent especially for artichoke and vine growing.
In addition to the old town, you can visit the surrounding area, especially the oasis of “Margherita di Savoia” where you can find the largest saltpans in Europe and the Archaeological Park of the “Hypogeum”; a fascinating weaving of history, nature and precious treasures.
Barletta web site
Canosa di Puglia web site
Cerignola web site
Orta Nova web site
Stornara web site
Stornarella web site
Trinitapoli web site
The production area of this wine covers the municipalities of: Barletta, Andria, Trani, San Ferdinado di Puglia and Trinitapoli.
It contains Nero di Troia with possible addition of Montepulciano, Sangiovese (maximum 30%) and Malbech (maximum 10%).
Red garnet in colour with orange hues if aged, this is a full-bodied wine, winy and armonic to the palate.
The minimum alcohol content for this wine is 12° and if aged for two years (one year in oak barrels), it receives the qualification of Reserve.
This wine contains: Nero di Troia (minimum 60%) with possible addition of Sangiovese and Montepulciano (maximum 35%).
Ruby red in colour, this is a full-bodied and a whole meal wine.
The minimum alcohol content for this wine is 12°. If aged for almost two years and with an alcohol content of 13°, it receives the qualification of Reserve.
The production area of this wine covers the municipalities of: Cerignola, Stornara. Stornarella and Ascoli Satriano.
The grape varieties used in the production of this DOC wine are: Nero di troia (minimum 55%), blended with Negramaro (15-30%), Sangiovese, Barbera, Montepulciano, Malbech and Trebbiano toscano (maximum 15%).
Full-bodied red in colour, this is a perfect wine to be served with meat dishes and mature cheese like Caciocavallo.
The production area of this wine covers the municipalities of: Orta Nova, Ordona, Ascoli Satriano, Crapelle, Foggia and Manfredonia.
The grape varieties used in the production of this wine are: Sangiovese, Uva di Troia, Montepulciano, Lambrusco Maestri and Trebbiano Toscano (maximum 40%).