It is the year 1665.  Among the fertile vineyards of that period, Oronzo Arcangelo Maria Francesco dei Conti di Lemos brought forth the wine cellar.

The founder is passionate for a land so fertile and rich and he understands its value, as well; thus, after the first years of manufacturing and processing of the product, he goes back to Spain, sells some possessions, returns and invests the proceeds in lands of Salento.

The wine cellar starts bottling its products with Piero and Lisetta Leone de Castris in 1925.  In 1943, the Five Roses comes into existence.  It is the most well-known produce of the company and the first rosé wine to be bottled and marketed in Italy and immediately after, exported to the United States of America.

logo_leonedecastris_rossoThe story of this family and of the winery continues.  The Cavalier del Lavoro Salvatore Leone de Castris, son of Piero and Lisetta, has contributed to a remarkable development – also at an international level – of the firm.  For twenty years, his son, Dr. Piernicola, runs it.  More and more prestigious awards are constantly attributed to the entire range of the business.

The foreign sales network today sees its products marketed not only in Europea, but also in the U.S.A., in Singapore, in Canada, in Brazil, in Australia, in Japan, in China, Hong Kong, and many other countries.  In the family businesses, new vines such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon, and Montepulciano, flanking the traditional grape varieties like Negroamaro, Malvasia Nera, Verdeca, Bianco d’Alessano, Moscato, Aleatico, Primitivo, Susumaniello and Ottavianello, have been planted.

The wine cellar offers a varied range of products: red wines, white wines, rosé DOC (Salice Salento, Locorotondo, Copertino, Primitivo di Manduria) interesting wines IGT Salento and Puglia, rosé and white spumanti; a brandy and a particularly fine olive oil.  It also has a a first-class hotel, equipped with sports facilities, that provides services for the daily visits of Italian and foreign delegations.

Condividi!